Movies: May 2014 List


This post is weeks late. Apologies.

May was a slow month for me. Got busy at my day job (deadlines, lots of it!) but i still had time to go to the multiplex and watch a few of the early summer blockbusters that Hollywood is offering this year.

I liked "Godzilla". I posted this quick review in my FB page: "Godzilla" delivers! It thrills, it entertains. Yes, it earned an applause from me, twice! Awesome cast. Impressive set design. The first great blockbuster film of the summer.

There was a movie that I disliked, however. And here's a copy of the quick review i posted in my FB page about Seth Rogen's latest hit:

"Neighbors" meanwhile is my first candidate for the worst movie of the year. Why Seth Rogen's stoner comedies are so popular is not a question i ask anymore but if all the major characters in the movie are variations of his persona, then the movie deserves that honor. I did not walk out, i tried to finish the movie but just couldn't. Instead i finished 20 games of Words with Friends and played some Candy Crush -- and i had a relaxing 1 and 1/2 hr. Rating: 1 Star because Lisa Kudrow appears in a cameo!

Honestly, Seth Rogen knows his audience well. Even tyrants like the North Korean dictator follows his career! Sadly, I am not one of his target audience.

Below are the movies I watched during the month of May 2014.


Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (US) DVD 4 ½ Stars
Transcendence (US) 2 Stars
Heaven is for Real (US) 3 ½ Stars
The Other Woman (US) 3 Stars
Lust, Caution (US/China) DVD 4 ½ Stars
Vengeance (France/HK) DVD 4 Stars
A Complicated Story (HK) DVD 3 Stars
Cold War (HK) DVD 4 ½ Stars
Firestorm (HK) DVD 3 ½ Stars
Godzilla (US) 4 Stars
Neighbors (US) 1 Star
Mamma Mia  (US) DVD 4 ½ Stars
(500) Days of Summer (US) DVD 5 Stars
X-Men: DoFP (US) 5 Stars
We Need to Talk About Kevin (UK) DVD 4 ½ Stars

It should be noted that I spent most of the month watching some of my old favorites. I must have seen "[500] Days of Summer" more than 20 times now. "Mamma Mia" more than 10. This month, I also rediscovered the movies of HK director Johnnie To --- his "Drug War" is one of the most thrilling action films I've seen in a long time.

My favorite film this month is the new installment in the X-Men series, "X-Men: Days of Future Past". I thought Bryan Singer's reboot was perfection! My full review is here: http://raymonddeasislo.blogspot.com/2014/05/film-review-x-men-dofp.html

You will love my June 2014 list.

XXX
Raymond De Asis Lo

No comments :

Post a Comment